Guidelines for submitting glacier fluctuation data
- WGMS (2007): Submission of glacier fluctuation data to the World Glacier Monitoring Service – general guidelines and attribute descriptions. [pdf]
- WGMS (2007): Digital data sumission form. [excel]
Guidelines for the World Glacier Inventory (mainly based on aerial photography and maps)
- Müller, F., Caflisch, T. and Müller, G. (eds.). 1977. Instructions for the compilation and assemblage of data for a world glacier inventory. IAHS(ICSI)/UNESCO report, Temporal Technical Secretariat for the World Glacier Inventory (TTS/WGI), ETH Zurich, Switzerland. [pdf]
- Müller, F. (ed.). 1978. Instructions for the compilation and assemblage of data for a world glacier inventory; Supplement: Identification/glacier number IAHS(ICSI)/UNEP/UNESCO report, Temporal Technical Secretariat for the World Glacier Inventory (TTS/WGI), ETH Zurich, Switzerland. [pdf]
- Scherler, K. (ed.). 1983. Guidelines for preliminary glacier inventories. IAHS(ICSI)/ UNEP/UNESCO report, Temporal Technical Secretariat for the World Glacier Inventory (TTS/WGI), ETH Zurich, Switzerland. [pdf]
- UNESCO (1970): Perennial ice and snow masses – a guide for compilation and assemblage of data for the World Glacier Inventory. Technical Papers in Hydrology No. 1. [pdf]
Guidelines for the Glacier Inventory of the GLIMS initiative (mainly based on satellite images)
- Bishop, M.P., Barry, R.G., Bush, A.B.G., Copeland, L., Dwyer, J.L., Fountain, A.G., Haeberli, W., Hall, D.K., Kääb, A., Kargel, J.S., Molnia, B.F., Olsenholler, J.A., Paul, F., Raup, B.H., Shroder, J.F., Trabant, D.C., and Wessels, R. (2004): Global Land Ice Measurements from Space (GLIMS): Remote sensing and GIS investigations of the Earth’s cryosphere. Geocarto International, 19 (2), 57-85.
- GLIMS Algorithm Working Group. (2006): GLIMS algorithm document. [link]
- Kargel, J.S., Abrams, M.J., Bishop, M.P., Bush, A., Hamilton, G., Jiskoot, H., Kääb, A., Kieffer, H.H., Lee, E.M., Paul, F., Rau, F., Raup, B., Shroder, J.F., Soltesz, D., Stearns, L., Wessels, R., and the GLIMS Consortium (2005): Multispectral imaging contributions to Global Land Ice Measurements from Space. Remote Sensing of Environment, 99, 187-219.
- Rau, F., Mauz, F., Vogt, S., Khalsa, J.S., and Raup B. (2005): Illustrated GLIMS glacier classification manual. Glacier classification guidance for the GLIMS inventory. NSIDC: 36 pp. [pdf]
- Raup, B.H., Kieffer, H.H., Hare, T.M., and Kargel, J.S. (2000): Generation of Data Acquisition Requests for the ASTER Satellite Instrument for Monitoring a Globally Distributed Target: Glaciers. IEEE Transactions On Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 38 (2), 1105-1112. [pdf]
- Raup, B.H., and Khalsa, J.S. (2007). GLIMS analysis tutorial. Draft, 20070522. 15 p. [pdf]
- Raup, B.H., Kääb, A., Kargel, J.S., Bishop, M.P., Hamilton, G., Lee, E., Paul, F., Rau, F., Soltesz, D., Khalsa, S.J.S., Beedle, M., and Helm, C. (2007): Remote Sensing and GIS technology in the Global Land Ice Measurements from Space (GLIMS) Project. Computers and Geosciences, 33, 104-125. [pdf]
- Raup, B.H., Racoviteanu, A., Khalsa, S.J.S., Helm, C., Armstrong, R., and Arnaud, Y. (2007): The GLIMS Geospatial Glacier Database: a new tool for studying glacier change. Global and Planetary Change, 56, 101-110. [pdf]
More GLIMS literature can be found on the GLIMS website!
Based on the glacier inventory standards above, recommendations and requirements for satellite-based components of cryospheric monitoring have been derived, published, and updated in:
- GCOS (2006): Systematic observation requirements for satellite-based products for climate. Supplemental details to the satellite-based component of the “Implementation Plan for the Global Observing System for Climate in Support of the UNFCCC”, Report GCOS-107 (WMO/TD No. 1338), September 2006. 90p. [pdf]
- IGOS (2007): IGOS Cryosphere theme For the Monitoring of our Environment from Space and from Earth. May 2007. 122p. [pdf]
- GTOS (2006): Global Terrestrial Observing System Biennial Report 2004-2005. GTOS-40. [pdf]
- GTOS (2008): Terrestrial essential climate variables for climate change assessment, mitigation and adaptation. GTOS-52. [pdf]